Bagan

Bagan

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Visiting the South for the First Time

From PDX I flew to Hilton Head Island, SC to volunteer for a few days at the ecotourism conference. I was expecting to be tired and overwhelmed, while meeting interesting people doing work that I am interested in. Morning started at 630am for a meeting, registering and directing people, helping presenters be ready for their workshops, and listening in to a few of them as well.

We had a great reception with amazing local food at the Costal Discovery Museum, which was a pretty location. Had friend green tomatoes, sweet potato biscuits, and just about every seafood southern dish. Really felt like I was in the south with the mossy trees, muggy air, and marshlands. The weather was cloudy and super muggy, but the hotel was right by the warm ocean water. There were awesome clouds that I wish I could take a photo of while in the ocean, but that's way too risky. 

After the conference, my friend, Dave, and I rented car and headed to Congaree National Park. We arrived at 5pm so we did a short boardwalk hike, which was very cool even saw tons of small turtles in the lake.  Wish I had more time here as the trees were different and it was tranquil. Great way to wind down after a hectic week. Next day we headed to Savannah. Click here for more pix.

No comments:

Post a Comment