Bagan

Bagan

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Mui Ne - Vietnam 12/16

Just about every day for the last few days I'm on a bus. Luckily they are pretty cozy and have ok wifi at times. Much better than Laos and Myanmar minivans. I catch up on blogging and it's my solo quiet time.  it's also nice to take a break from walking all day. 

Onward to Mui Ne, At a rest area, a British chick started to chat with me. Sarah is 30 and happy to meet someone not in their 20s. sarah was staying at a hostel I was considering. I checked in and We befriended our dorm mates. 

It's amazing how many young travellers there are, which I think is a great experience. But it's terrible to see them drink to oblivion, trash these local places and make foreigners look like asses. I can see how locals can think we have so much money to waste and why they heavily try to sell things to us. Although I do see locals polluting as well but most of the time I honestly don't think they know better. And of course it's understandable for them to be upset with the US and France for what we did to their people and land. 

Tourism is increasing, therefore so is development of hotels, cafes, etc. Sarah said Vietnam doesn't feel like Asia anymore. Many places try to cater to the western ways. I wish I had come just a few years earlier. I worry this is what will happen to Myanmar. No one seems to mind or care though; they follow the dollar signs without thinking about the long term, sustainable impact. 

For this reason I think traveling by moto bike would be great to get off the many well travelled tourist roads. Many adventures travellers do this But you really should know how to ride a bike and do it all as smart as possible with Good gloves, helmet and footwear. I've seen too many wounds and heard many hardship stories. 

 Mui ne unfortunately is super developed. Hotels right up to the ocean water as erosion has taken away most of the sandy beaches. It's world class for kite surfing. Hotels don't let you through to get to the beach. We managed to sneak in one evening. And later learned there's a small public access area. The water was brown and I could feel rubbish in it. It's a sad experience overalland know I understand why hotels including hostels have a pool. 

Next day we did a half day tour to visit fairy springs, which was a nice walk literally in the water to see a not so great waterfall, and visit the white and red sand dunes. I've seen sand dunes Back home and these weren't anything special but still nice to see. We stopped at a local fishing village; pretty much anything in the ocean was for sale to eat; including endangered species. 

We rented a crappy, overpriced quad like bike at the white sands which Sarah drove. I'm too tired to operate anything. We got stuck many times and a tire went flat. At the red dunes we rented a cheap, shitty plastic slide. We had fun falling down the sandy hill while the sun sets and the boys doing crazy flips in the air. Happily no one was injured today. 

A bottle of rum only costs $3; apparently I drank most of it. I am told I was funny but don't remember half the night. I tripped over Sarah's messy luggage area, matrix style I am told, my back hit her tiled bed while the cup of rum flew in the air and on to the floor and gave a little show as my dress yanked down during the fall.  I woke up at 6am, had breaky, went for a swim with two beers and we booked a bus at 1 for the big city, Saigon (now called Ho Chi Min). It's amazing how the cheap booze gets you drunk with no hangover. 


No comments:

Post a Comment