Bagan

Bagan

Friday, October 14, 2016

Ayutthaya - the old capital

 
I got excited when I heard about an ancient city two hours north of Bangkok. Once the old capital, it's also where the famous Buddha head in tree roots lives. 

"Ayutthaya was capital of the Kingdom of Siam, and a prosperous international trading port, from 1350 until razed by the Burmese in 1767. It's an island surrounded by canals. 

Wat Mahathat an ancient temple built during the 14th century was destroyed by the Burmese who also vandalised many of the Buddha images by lopping off the heads. 

The area remained abandoned and overgrown until the 1950s when the Department of Fine art began restoration work in Ayutthaya." 

Phom phet fortress built around 1580. Lots of raining causing flooding concerns. Here you see a guy fishing in the dirty river off a boat, tons of plastic garbage drawn to the floating plants and huge barge was pulled by many boats.

  It's a fairly easy walkable city and its amazing how well google maps does here. Though it has ruins in specific areas, outside of them is very modernized. Lots of homeless dogs here and  old local cafes one after the other. The night street market had a ton of loca food options just sometimes hard to tell what it is and what's not too spicy hot. 
 
7/11 extends from Tokyo to al of Thailand it appears. The nice part is they are super cold and I can get a fruit smoothie for less than $1 so that's been my breaky. Can't eat rice and noddles 3x a day :)

I was hoping I'd lose weight in this trip. The heat doesn't make u as hungry but it's super hard to find veggies and fruit is surprisingly expensive. I did find a salad finally, can't believe how much I wanted that and how good it satisfied my veggie desire for now. 




No comments:

Post a Comment